You are here:

IT Governance roundup for August

Strategic Information Technology Committee (SITC)

August 15 • Agenda

  • Chief Information Officer Steve Hess presented a brief history of student computing fees and showed how they are distributed each year between University Information Technology, colleges and libraries, classrooms, and software.
  • Teaching and Learning Technologies Director Jon Thomas explained how the student computing fee process has evolved over the past five years, detailing some of the major changes the Teaching & Learning Portfolio has made to improve the overall process.
  • The committee then had a lengthy discussion about the process, noting that it is not currently tied in with the overall annual budget process that all colleges/groups must do every year. The committee discussed the benefits of tying the student computing fees process in to the overall budget process, noting that it would help eliminate funding gaps and/or double funded projects. They discussed the logistics of how the timeline could be shortened to meet the larger budget proposal process which occurs every year in March/April. There was general agreement from the group that the Teaching & Learning Portfolio (TLP) could transition from being an awarding committee to being a recommending committee. The TLP would complete the process as they have in the past (within a shorter time period), make funding recommendations to each college/group, and those recommendations would ultimately be included in the overall budget process. This idea was motioned, seconded, and approved by the committee. Groups requesting student computing fee funding for the upcoming year will need to submit their proposals by January 15, 2018, and the TLP will make all recommendations by March 15, 2018.

Teaching and Learning Portfolio

August 22 • Agenda

  • The portfolio welcomed two new members, Harish Maringanti (associate dean for IT and Digital Library Services, replacing Catherine Soehner), and Zach Berger (ASUU student representative, replacing Jack Bender). There is another seat to be filled, and the portfolio discussed and agreed upon two potential faculty members to reach out to.
  • The portfolio discussed the decisions made in the SITC meeting on August 15 regarding student computing fees, as well as the implications for the Teaching and Learning Portfolio and task force. Paul Burrows presented an updated, shorter timeline for the process, beginning January 1 and ending March 15. One member suggested asking colleges/groups for intent to apply before January 1, and there was general agreement from the room that contacting the groups as early as possible would be preferable. The portfolio continued to discuss the logistics of shortening the timeline and deadline for proposals and recommendations, and generally agreed that while it will be a tight turnaround, it can be done.
  • TLT Director Jon Thomas gave a presentation and walkthrough of the new Teacher App by Canvas. 
  • Tony Sams, specialty media coordinator for the Marriott Library, gave a brief presentation on the one-button studio available in the Marriott Library and talked about the features, capability, and how students and faculty can schedule the studio. 

Enterprise Web Advisory Council (EWAC)

August 25 • Agenda

  • The EWAC charter was presented, and the Council voted to approve it.
  • UIT Deputy Chief Information Officer Ken Pink provided an update of the status of the Google Search Appliance, a service that Google is shutting down on December 31, 2018. The University’s support agreement with Google ends on May 31, 2018. The University can elect to pay for extended support so that it has more time to select and implement a new search tool. The Council voted to recommend that the U extend the support agreement to December 31, 2018, with funds to come from Central Administration, and that the new GSA Task Force (led by UIT’s Barb Iannucci) should continue its work with a sense of urgency.
  • Scott Troxel, director of digital strategy for University Marketing and Communications (UMC), presented mock-ups of the new U home page. The Council asked for opportunities to provide ongoing feedback on topics including college-related content, accessibility for users with disabilities, and other matters. Troxel said that having a central authoritative repository for college/department/major data and content will be key for maintaining certain features of the new website.  There is no firm launch date, but UMC is planning a beta launch date to be set in the near future.
  • Cory Stokes, associate dean for undergraduate studies and UOnline director, gave an update on the status and ongoing work of the Integrated Student Team (IST). IST has noted the need for U orgs to make use of central services to serve students, focusing on a streamlined and positive student experience. He highlighted the need to 1) provide students with a mobile platform and 2) serve them better with a customer relationship management (CRM) system. IST will seek the guidance of the EWAC as needed going forward.

Architecture and New Technology Committee (ANTC)

August 28 • Agenda

  • Trevor Long, associate director for UIT Network & Core, presented information about a third University network, ULink, which is being piloted in campus housing. The network is meant to provide a better experience for users with devices that don’t use certificate-based authentication methods, such as gaming and other entertainment devices. It also could become the primary channel for Internet of Things (IoT) devices. The pilot will be evaluated again in the spring. Long also updated the committee on the campus wireless strategy for FY2018. There are nine buildings on the priority list to replace aging wireless access points. Long also discussed a pilot effort in some areas to split the 5mhz UConnect SSID from the 2.4mhz channel to improve the overall experience. He will report back on that pilot in the spring, as well.
  • Clayton Barlow, associate director for Enterprise Architecture, discussed the concept of reviewing the university’s identity schema to reduce the number of identity variants used by campus services. This would affect on-premises IAM solutions as well as cloud solutions. ANTC voted for Barlow to further develop this idea with others and return with a proposal in the future.
  • Subhasish Mitra, associate director for Identity and Access Management, presented an update on the user access review process being implemented by the Information Security Office (ISO). Mitra demonstrated the process, which is in the pilot phase and ultimately will require all managers at the University to review their employees’ elevated access to certain high-risk applications through the SailPoint Identity IQ application.
  • Scott Sherman, special assistant to the CIO, led a brief discussion on the role of ANTC voting membership, specifically the views of members regarding the current structure of one voting member per bloc. Further discussion about whether to change the voting mechanism will happen with Strategic IT Committee chair Amy Wildermuth.
Last Updated: 8/31/17