By Emily Rushton
As the start of fall semester approaches, UIT has once again established a special monitoring and response team to swiftly address any core service degradation that may occur as students, faculty, instructors, and staff return to campus. While our monitoring efforts will help detect many possible service issues, your assistance in reporting issues directly to the UIT Help Desk remains essential.
If you notice a UIT service issue, please first check our notification systems (listed below) to see if it’s a known issue that we’re already working on.
- https://status.it.utah.edu/ (access requires campus IP address)
- Sign up for NotifyIT alerts (SMS and/or email)
If the issue hasn't been communicated, we ask that you call the UIT Help Desk immediately to report it: 801-581-4000 option 1.
To help ensure the smoothest semester start possible, UIT has the following additional measures in place for the first week of classes:
- Start of semester walk-in help for UIT services (view times and locations)
- UIT staff will have access to a 24/7 Skype group to collaborate on quickly resolving any identified service issues
- Staffing plans are in place for the first week of class to ensure key technical and support staff will be on duty
- Technical teams and the monitoring team will collaborate closely, including use of custom dashboards
- View scheduled UIT change moratoriums
The demand for network resources can outpace projections as people bring more network-connected devices to campus and media-on-demand consumption increases. As with previous semester starts, in the event that network service becomes slow or otherwise degraded, we may need to temporarily reduce non-essential online service access. Examples of non-essential online services that could be limited include services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go/Now, ESPN, Amazon Instant Video, Twitch, and Valve.
If you have any questions, please call the UIT Help Desk at 801-581-4000 option 1.