Xfinity on Campus: 260+ channels, DVR, TV Go app
The University of Utah has signed a contract with Xfinity on Campus (XOC), a Comcast streaming service that gives students in Housing & Residential Education (HRE) buildings more entertainment options than ever before. XOC is administered by University Television (UTV).
"Xfinity on Campus complements students’ lifestyles and schedules," said Bryan Morris, IT supervisor for the UIT Account Executive team and UTV Services. "They can stream, record, and download content like news, sports, and movies at their convenience, on or away from campus."
Xfinity on Campus highlights:
- Works on smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktop computers, smart TVs, Roku, Apple TVs, and Xfinity internet protocol television (IPTV)-capable equipment. Devices must be connected to the university IP network.
- Boasts a lineup of 260+ channels (PDF), including 100+ live channels, up from the 135 channels offered by Philo, UTV's previous streaming service provider.
- Users may access thousands of on-demand programs.
- The TV Go app — which includes 60+ channels for iOS and Android — is accessible anywhere with an internet connection, not just on campus.
- The package includes 20 hours of cloud-hosted digital video recorder (DVR) storage per user and is available anywhere with internet connectivity. Users may download and watch recorded programs online or offline.
- Users have the option to upgrade to premium channels and sports packages for an additional fee ($9.99 a month per channel, on average).
- University departments may also subscribe, however, there are limitations. Email Morris at email@example.com for details.
- Xfinity has provided the university with a dedicated support team.
Access this knowledge article for XOC setup instructions, TV Go information, and a channel listing.
"We're very excited to have Xfinity as a partner," Morris said. "When the university's previous streaming partner pulled out at the end of 2019, Xfinity stepped in with TV Go streaming content delivery and DVR capability from January 1 until the contract was signed on May 11. Their commitment to service is the real story."
Our monthly newsletter includes news from UIT and other campus/ University of Utah Health IT organizations, features about UIT employees, IT governance news, and various announcements and updates.