UIT information resources for the U community
UIT offers myriad resources to help members of the University of Utah and University of Utah Health community stay up to speed on IT news, unplanned outages, scheduled maintenance, and more. To help provide U community members more control over the information sent to their inboxes, UIT on Thursday, September 30, 2021, will begin to offer information email service subscribers the opportunity to set preferences for the types of messages they’d like to receive. Please refer to the UIT information email service section below for more information.
Have a question, or suggestion, about how UIT can improve its communication and information services? Please contact UIT's Strategic Communication group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only NotifyIT and the U’s application health summary website provide urgent UIT information (unplanned outages and updates).
UIT information email service
Our information email service is open to all faculty, staff, and students. Currently, the service has more than 650 subscribers, including departmental IT staff as well as campus and hospital administrators, researchers, instructors, and support staff.
Those who are interested in the U’s most critical common IT resources may wish to subscribe. Services include the campus network; the Campus Information Services (CIS) portal; UMail, Microsoft Teams, telephone and online collaboration services; information security; software licensing; research computing; and a range of other IT systems and applications.
You can subscribe by entering your uNID@utah.edu email address in an online form, and you can opt out at any time.
Subscribers can select which types of messages they would like to receive. Categories include:
- Node 4 newsletter: A monthly email with UIT news. Example
- High-impact planned downtime notices: Information about planned downtimes that affect critical, university-wide IT services, such as Campus Information Services (CIS); UMail, Teams, and other Microsoft Exchange services; and wired and wireless network services. Example
- Low-impact downtime notices: Information about planned downtimes that affect less critical or role-specific IT services, such as Degree Audit Report System, PeopleSoft, and Ultimate Kronos Group. Example
- Announcements: Timely information about IT initiatives, security updates and vulnerabilities, software, products, services, leadership hires, and more. Example
- Surveys: Your opportunity to provide input on IT initiatives, campus software licensing agreements, and more. Example
For more information about the UIT information email service, including how to manage subscription preferences, please visit this IT Knowledge Base article.
The email list provides non-urgent UIT information only. To receive emails and other notifications about unplanned outage alerts and updates, please refer to the information below.
UIT unplanned outage alerts and updates
NotifyIT is an opt-in service for University of Utah employees who wish to receive timely SMS and/or email notifications about IT security warnings and unplanned outages affecting centrally supported IT services (e.g., CIS, UMail, PeopleSoft, UConnect, and Ultimate Kronos Group).
You also can visit the following pages for NotifyIT information.
- System status webpage: uofu.status.io
- Twitter: twitter.com/uofuitstatus
For more detailed information about the university’s application health, please visit status.it.utah.edu (requires campus IP address or VPN connection).
UIT planned downtimes and changes
- Planned downtimes (scheduled maintenance events that will cause service outages)
- Planned work and changes (scheduled IT changes not expected to cause service outages)
Main UIT websites
- UIT's main website: it.utah.edu
- Campus Help Desk: it.utah.edu/help
- IT Knowledge Base (self-service online help)
- Service Catalog (self-service ordering)
- Digital resource guides for students, faculty, and staff
- UIT public announcements: it.utah.edu/news/announcements
UIT unit/program sites
- Data Management & Analytics: bi.utah.edu
- Center for High Performance Computing: chpc.utah.edu
- Content Management & Usability: websites.it.utah.edu
- Information Security Office: security.it.utah.edu
- Identity & Access Management (ISO): security.it.utah.edu/identity
- Network Services: it.utah.edu/network
- Office of Software Licensing: software.utah.edu
- Project Management Office: it.utah.edu/pmo
- UIT departments (additional webpages): it.utah.edu/departments
- University of Utah IT governance program: it.utah.edu/cio/it-governance-committees
- UIT Service Guide (overview of UIT services and resources)
- UIT org chart: it.utah.edu/orgcharts
- UIT and ITS job openings: it.utah.edu/about/jobs
- UIT Student University Development Opportunity program: sudo.utah.edu
Our monthly newsletter includes news from UIT and other campus/ University of Utah Health IT organizations, features about UIT employees, IT governance news, and various announcements and updates.